Braun Silk Epil 5280 Review
Update: The Braun Silk Epil 5280 is currently on sale and is selling at a decent discount to its RRP. The sale may end at any time – click here to check out the deal.
So many epilators, so little time — to try them all, that is. Even if you limit your search for a new epilator to a single company, like Braun, the options can be overwhelming.
The Braun Silk Epil 5280 Epilator is a middle-priced model from Braun’s Series 5 range.
It’s the only one in Series 5 that has to be plugged in while you use it.
It has 40 tweezers and comes with 3 caps and a cooling glove, a great deal for the price.
- Excellent price/performance ratio
- 40 Close-grip technology
- 2 speeds
- Pivoting Head
- Continuous use with no loss in power
- Cooling glove
- High frequency massage
- Includes shaver and trimmer
- Efficiency cap
- Fully washable: Can be cleaned under water.
- Must always be plugged in.
- Dry use only
- Poor cord design, power cord can pop out if not firmly pushed in.
To help you on your search for your ideal epilator, we want to tell you about the Braun Silk Epil 5280. While it’s not absolutely perfect, it’s loaded with some impressive features. And did we mention that it’s also one of the most affordable epilators out there?
What’s in the box?
So, let’s take a look inside the box and see what Braun has in store for us. Here’s a list of goodies you can expect to receive when you open up the box:
- Epilator body
- Tweezing head with high frequency massage rollers
- Power adapter for plugging the epilator into the wall
- Brush for cleaning the epilator
- Efficiency Pro cap
- Shaver head cap
- Trimmer cap
- Cooling glove with gel pack
We’ll go into more detail about what all these things are in the accessories and special features section.
This epilator has a white and raspberry color scheme and is designed to sit comfortably in your hand. It feels a lot like holding an electric razor.
You have to plug this epilator in during use. The cord is 7.5 feet long, so it gives you plenty of room to move. The upside to having a cord is that you’ll always have a steady charge.
In our experience, rechargeable epilators start to lose their oomph and battery life after a while.
Some women who’ve used this epilator complain that the cord falls out too easily. You have to make sure you hear a click when plugging the cord into the epilator, and then you shouldn’t have a problem.
Tweezers and performance
The Braun Silk Epil 5280 has 40 tweezers. You’ll be able to remove hair a lot faster with this model than with an epilator that only has 20 tweezers.
Like a lot of Braun models, this one boasts a SoftLift Tip feature — little plastic nubs that catch hairs and lift them up so the tweezers can grab them.
The pivoting tweezer head is able to follow the contours of your body better than an epilator with a head that’s frozen in place. This lets you catch and remove more hairs in one pass. The flexible head can pivot up to 15 degrees back and forth.
This epilator has two-speed settings:
- I. Extra gentle
- II. Extra efficient
The extra gentle setting will turn the epilation head more slowly than the extra efficient setting.
If you’re new to epilation, or if you’re epilating areas with a high ouch factor like the underarm and bikini areas, you probably want to try the extra gentle setting first.
Some women hate the slower settings though; they just want to get epilating over with as quickly as possible.
Body areas it can be used on
This epilator is marketed for legs and body since it has a flexible head that adapts to curves. However, it doesn’t come with a cap for facial hair removal, so it’s not ideal for removing hair from the face.
Accessories and special features
The Braun Silk Epil 5280 Epilator comes with a pretty good number of accessories for the price point. Here’s the lowdown on what they do:
- Shaver head. This attachment lets you use the epilator as an electric shaver. Truth be told, a lot of women don’t think it works that great as a shaver. It might depend on your expectations.
- Trimmer cap. This cap does what it says: trims hair. Braun says it trims hair in sensitive areas. We assume this means ladyscaping, but it makes sense to trim anywhere that your hair has gotten a little long. It hurts more to remove longer hair.
- Efficiency Pro cap. This cap lies flat and has little teeth on it like a tiny comb; it helps to feed hairs into the epilator. The end result should be faster hair removal.
- Smartlight feature. This is a built-in light that illuminates hairs. We were impressed by how many more hairs you can see with the light than without it.
- SoftLift Tips. These little nubs help to lift up hairs during epilation, making them easier for the tweezers to grab and pull out.
- Cooling glove. The cooling glove kind of looks like an oven mitt. It comes with a gel ice pack that you place in the freezer. Braun recommends using the cooling glove both before and after epilating to help reduce any discomfort and swelling.
- Cleaning brush. This is a small, long-bristled brush that you use to clean the epilator after use.
- Pouch. Braun has thoughtfully provided a little carrying bag. It’s handy for holding your epilator and it’s accessories in one convenient place.
There’s no denying epilating can hurt, especially when you’re just starting out. Epilator makers do what they can to reduce the pain factor.
This model has a built-in high-frequency massage; it kind of vibrates to distract you from the plucking sensation. The other item in your battle against pain will be the cooling glove.
Before cleaning, always unplug your epilator. You can clean this model in two ways:
- Brush cleaning. Dip the cleaning brush in alcohol and clean the epilator while manually turning the tweezing head.
- Cleaning with running water. Remove the attachment cap and hold your epilator with the tweezing head under the running water.Then, press the release button to take the tweezing head off the device.You should shake both the tweezing head and the epilator body so that the water drips out. Let both parts dry completely before putting the epilator back together.
Should you buy this particular epilator? The answer’s yes if you:
- Do plan to use it on the legs and body.
- Don’t plan to use it to get rid of facial hair.
- Like having an epilator that you keep plugged in for a steady power source.
- Don’t want to pay a lot but want more features and accessories.
- Have no desire to take your epilator into the shower or tub.
If those things apply to you, we think this epilator is an excellent value for the money.